Saturday, September 25, 2010

Decorating with accessories

And not creating clutter and more dusting…
I have always wondered this!
I like having things around, but I do not want too many THINGS or STUFF that I have to dust! I do not like dust at all and even worse I hate to clean it.

So I went on a search to figure it out…

I look at my favorite blogs and my favorite magazines

img38l
{pottery barn}

I love how PB corralled everything on a nice tray, with some greenery and a deck of cards! I mean really I would of never thought “lets decorate with a deck of cards” but it works right?

So I guess the first thing is to decorate with things you love.

DSC_0007_edited2DSC_0008_edited003 copy
{miss mustard seed}

See how Marian from Miss Mustard Seed uses things she loves? A scale, a hanging dress, old typewriter, and lovely pillows!
Things you would not expect, but they work.

Look around and decorate with things that you wouldn’t think about decorating with, it adds a little spice! i.e a deck of cards, an antique scale, books!

A favorite show of mine on HGTV always tells me decorate in 3’s.

Books = warm and cozy. Books are all the rage now in Bloggerville.
Books are easy to find! Go grab some books and throw them around.
And height to other accessories with books.
 img16l 
{pottery barn}

Flowers and galvanized buckets are always in season! Galvanized tins and buckets look great with white or wood! You can’t go wrong!

img6l
{pottery barn}
prod1593072_av3
{restoration hardware}
Decorate with things you use everyday! No one said it couldn’t be functional.
0406_msl_gts_xl
{martha stewart}

Decorating should be fun, if you are starting to stress over it, stop and take a break! It should be natural..

Foyer
{lasting impressions}

Mirrors are great! They bounce light around a room!
Wreaths are always a fun and different way to add some color and texture!
You can use it for everyday or you can use them for seasonal decor.

Art is another great and easy decorating accessory! Lovely frames that you can put just about anything in..

4545971473_72f3d3d7b1
{house of hepworth's}

Framing skeleton keys is just simple brilliant!

buildhboard_ss12lg
{source unknown}

And don’t forget the ceiling. Lovely chandelier’s are accessories too!


So what are you decorating go to’s?

How about your do not’s?

How do you make your home feel warm and cozy?

2 comments:

  1. I'm always changing my accessories around. I love looking at PB and Ballard for ideas as well as blogs and magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Holly, I am totally loving your blog! I am officially a follower, thanks for leaving the comments on my blog too. I love these decor tips! Regarding the chair covers, in my next blog I will do step by step, it is actually easier than I thought, so maybe you can get started on those chairs you mentioned too!

    ReplyDelete

{I love everything you have to say}